3.20.2012

Dante's Inferno (Written by Iesha Gray)

Okay so I posted this on my status accidently on purpose because I wanted to get this posted.  Basically if you haven't read Dante's Inferno, it is worth the read.  Great work of fiction in which Dante describes the layers of Hell in great detail.  I decided to name this piece Dante's Inferno for many reasons.

1.  I love paradoxes, irony, and puns and this title encompasses all of that in a very personal way

2.  I happen to know a particular someone with a very similar name as the title and he envokes fire and passion in me to follow my passion.  His paintings inspired me to reevaluate a lot of about my creativity.

3.  The original epic is about layers and depth, which is EXACTLY what I wanted to depict in this piece.

4.  The imagery associated with fire is all over the place, which is similar to the events that transpired to bring about this NECESSITY to express my point of view my creatively.

Without further adue, I give you DANTE'S INFERNO....enjoy!





Stratums of mess, I rest on my iris to the trained eye,

Foresight to envision my submission among lies,

Refusing to mind the transcendence of time.

The need to love the me independent of we,

Became a mutiny against myself.

Doubts arise, clarity chastised, manifesting dangling modifiers of disguise.

My didactic clock tower chimes evanescence way past the present,

A constant presence of my severance pay.

Today I pass my past in a picture frame.

Politely dismissed it, abused, untamed

Pain torn asunder and splintered in sin,

My Mosaic kin I might just go in,

Obsessions with being second, I reckon,

I’ve reached a jazzy improvisation, in summation F* YOU. 

 

The “new cool”: fabricated friendships foddered in f*ckery and happenstance,

Reconfigured my stance into 10 tweet rants, rebutted red lipstick chants.

I can’t recant what’s true,

Speaking to me when no one else has a clue,

Looming retribution of your substitution,

My resolution is moot.

A self-fulfilling prophecy of a pragmatic optimist rhyme,

My lines primed; afraid, prideful, and blind,

Yet bold enough to do the right thing at the wrong time.

Love and fear intertwined,

Love declined, fear ruled my mind.

Self-loathing, letting you choose me,

Antiquity engulfed and ablaze in ambiguity. 

 

Did I lose you because I think I might have found me.

See, my verbiage met a conjunction; 

Where my subject no longer predicated my purpose, propelling me to profound discovery.

Blurred in the abstract, hidden and obscured, Falling deeper, I risk revealing revelations of reality.

Plummeting paragraphs of love, lies, and limitless larceny,

 Ripping the armor from my heart but doing it cowardly.
A person and a place that evolved into a thing,

Revolving a situation around a fling,

Choking the truth, til’ it stings.

Let love die, a fate I supplied.

My fight is despite myself,

Stacked the deck then misdealt. 

 

Reaching up from the depths of self-worth,

Void of contentment, absent of resentment,

 Watching my depraved indifference work.

Seething and scorched, my unlit torch ignites,

‘pen to pad I write’,

No foresight, just forthright.

Honesty intersecting the truth as KICK ROCKS BOULEVARD.

I….LOVE….SOOOOO….HARD 

 

Scarred below, above and crossed the line,

Fiery ambition exploded inside, 

My mind arose, naked and exposed, Foolish, caring, and poignant, my case I close.

Grasping at the root of my concrete rose,

Mask me in my high, beaten to my low, 

Your claim to fame shall be within the flames of my ‘Dante’s Inferno’.


by: Iesha Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment